Wednesday, May 23, 2007

PodCast Tip of the Week

When I teach my class "How to PodCast" someone always asks how long should a podcast be. The answer to that is somewhat driven by the content but for the most part you want to keep the entire podcast down to under 10 minutes if you are not producing a "show".

For example, if you listen to recorded radio shows, they are usually broken up by commercials, multiple speakers or various segments. Your podcast can be longer than the 10 minute rule but I would suggest breaking it up into small segments.

You can break it up by either a sound bite or music in between, a mini commercial for some upcoming event or just a fun joke or question to throw out to the listeners. If you ever go to Caribou Coffee, they post a Question of the Day and take .10 of your order if you get it right. You could break up the podcast by just stating a question in between like -- "What the was the name of Tonto's horse from the old Lone Ranger show?"

I'd love to see posts of other examples of how you could break up a longer podcasts from the audience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have done something similar, I found some fun sound effects to break up the my content when I create podcasts

lwick said...

I just finished reading a white paper by the Meeting Professionals International (Mapping the Future of Onsite Learning) from a conference that was held in March in Copenhagen. One point made was that people need time to reflect on new ideas and that self questioning techniques are a quick way to do that. You could break content by asking questions about how the listener would use the information presented for their project or on the job, followed by a few seconds for reflection (or tranquil music.)